Dear Food Service Directors:
As you close the 2017-18 school year we want to remind you about Iowa Local Food Day being celebrated next Fall on October 11, 2018. To participate schools must serve at least 2 items (dishes for breakfast or lunch) with primarily locally sourced items. This does include meat and dairy as well (excluding milk). Participation can be 1 school or all schools within your district.
Thank you so much to the nearly 100 respondents of the Iowa Local Food Day Participation Survey we sent last winter. We heard what you said and we have taken measures to meet your needs to support you in procuring local foods for the 2018 Iowa Local Food Day Event!
- NEW WEBSITE: https://www.iowalocalfoodday.org/
- Find resources, menu suggestions, and sign up
- Sign up NOW – https://www.iowalocalfoodday.org/participants/
- A participation map will help showcase participating schools
- Brochures, banners and posters will be available for you to display in your school(s) and communities to promote the great work you are doing
- Directory updates :
- new categories have been added to help you find not only fruits and vegetables but local meat and dairy as well
- Taste Test mini-grant
- Schools signing up to participate in the Iowa Local Food Day and participating in a procurement training or viewing the webinar are eligible for a Taste Test mini grant offering supplies (mobile food cart, carrying trays, cups, Fresh from the Garden erasable posters and money for local produce
- Procurement assistance
- In addition to the Farm to School Directory, we are working with Local Food Coordinators and food hubs to help you locate the locally grown items you are seeking
To learn more about this make plans to attend the 2018 Farm to School Collaboration at the FFA Ankeny Enrichment Center on June 28-29th. Sign up and additional information can be found here: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/localfoods/iowa-farm-to-school-conference-2018/
Look for our booth at the SNA conference in Council Bluffs! Have a great summer!
Farm to School Coordinator
Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship